What should you do if you are SSS Self-employed/voluntary members?

When I got married and separated from my employment, I started paying my SSS contribution as voluntary member. The coverage of being a voluntary member takes effect when I resumed payment of contribution. Let me share more details about the coverage of SSS Self-employed/voluntary members.

SSS Coverage of self employed:

A self-employed person, regardless of trade, business or occupation, with an income of at least P1,000 a month and not over 60 years old, should register with the SSS. Included, but not limited to are the following self-employed persons.

    • self-employed professionals;
    • business partners, single proprietors and board directors;
    • actors, actresses, directors, scriptwriters and news reporters who are not under an employer-employee relationship;
    • professional athletes, coaches, trainers and jockeys;
    • farmers and fisherfolks; and
    • workers in the informal sector such as cigarette vendors, watch-your-car boys, hospitality girls, among others.

Coverage of Voluntary

1. Coverage of Separated MembersA member who is separated from employment or ceased to be self-employed/OFW/non-working spouse and would like to continue contributing.

2.  Coverage of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) – A Filipino recruited in the Philippines by a foreign-based employer for employment abroad or one who legitimately entered a foreign country (i.e. tourist, student) and is eventually employed.

3.  Coverage of Non-working Spouses of SSS members – A person legally married to a currently employed and actively paying SSS member who devotes full time in the management of household and family affairs may be covered on a voluntary basis provided there is the approval of the working spouse. The person should never have been a member of the SSS. The contributions will be based on 50 percent of the working spouse’s last posted monthly salary credit but in no case shall it be lower than P1,000.

Effectivity of Voluntary Coverage

  1. For an overseas Filipino worker – upon first payment of contribution, in case of initial coverage.
  2. For a non-working spouse – upon first payment of contribution.
  3. For a separated member – on the month he/she resumed payment of contribution.

As SSS self-employed/voluntary member, you have duties and responsibilities to do especially when paying your SSS contributions.

Self-employed/voluntary members should:

  1. pay their monthly contributions using SSS Form RS-5 (Contributions Payment Return Form) monthly in accordance with the prescribed schedule;Beginning 01 January 2004, self-employed and voluntary members, including OFWs may change their MSC monthly. The change may be by one or two salary brackets without requiring the submission of documents to prove their earnings. In case the change will result to an MSC of lower than P5, 000.00, or where the change will result to more than the present MSC, a Declaration of Earnings must be submitted to support the new earnings. However, if the age of the member is 55 years or older and the present MSC is more than P10, 000.00, the allowed increase is only one salary bracket regardless of whether the supporting documents are submitted or not.For Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), the minimum MSC was increased from P3, 000.00 to P5, 000.00, or beginning 01 January 2004.
  2. update or correct their personal records with the SSS by submitting a duly filled-up SSS Form E-4 (Member’s Data Amendment) with supporting documents.

be conscious of changes and improvements in SSS policies and benefit structure.Self-employed and voluntary members may enroll in the Auto-Debit Arrangement System which allows the one-time enrollment of the employer’s bank account for the automatic payment of monthly SSS contributions and loan repayments.

Automatic payment of monthly SSS contributions and loan repayments arrangement is open at the following banks:

  • United Coconut Planters Bank
  •  Equitable/PCI Bank,
  • Bank of the Philippine Islands
  • Metropolitan Bank and Trust Co.
  • Philippine National Bank
  • Asia Trust Bank
  • Philippine Savings Bank
  • Development Bank of the Philippines

Credit Source: SSS.gov.ph as of 2/8/12.

As a voluntary member, I preferred to pay directly at SSS bayad center in quarterly payments. I plan to pay 12 months in advance soon to avoid missing the payment deadlines.


One response to “What should you do if you are SSS Self-employed/voluntary members?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.